Quebec Government announces solar program
CanSIA is pleased to inform members that the Government of Quebec recently announced a program to support the installation of Solar Thermal and Solar PV systems.
Financial support will be made available for the installation of solar equipment in buildings in the municipal, institutional, commercial, industrial and agricultural sectors. To be eligible, a project must lead to reduced consumption of fossil fuel.
This Green Fund was announced in the Budget Plan 2011-2012 and has a total budget of $ 7 million for one year running from March 27, 2012 to March 31, 2013.
Projects must be completed during a maximum period of two years beginning from the date of the agreement between the province's Ministry of Natural Resources and Wildlife and the applicant.
Projects include both solar thermal and photovoltaic, and must be completed with a single model of solar collector as part of a single application. Only one project is eligible per site.
Examples of projects that may be eligible:
- preheating of fresh air;
- preheating the air used in a manufacturing process;
- preheating of the water used in a manufacturing process;
- heating a building by a hydronic heating system (radiant floor type or coil);
- heating of a public swimming pool;
- electricity for a building off-grid or in an autonomous network.
The program excludes preheated domestic hot water.
Any natural or legal person or corporation having an establishment in Quebec that uses a fossil fuel is eligible and may submit a project.
Eligible Buildings (both existing or under construction)
Municipal and institutional buildings (school boards, colleges, universities, hospitals, etc..)
- Commercial buildings of all sizes, from small shops to shopping malls
- Industrial buildings
- Farm buildings
- Multi-residential buildings of four storeys or more
- Mixed-use buildings (residential and commercial) excluding houses converted to commercial use
The applicant must submit a report to the Ministry signed by an engineer that includes an estimate of the emission reduction of greenhouse gas (GHG). The Department will conduct the measurement of 10 per cent of installations made in the program.
Amount of Financial Assistance
Funding varies by project, the intended application and installed surface of solar collectors.
The allocated amount is the lesser of:
- 50 per cent of total project costs for solar thermal equipment;
- 75 per cent of the total project costs for solar photovoltaic equipment - to a maximum of $ 300 000;
- the amount necessary to reduce the payback period of investment (PRI) to three years;
- the initial amount requested by the participant at the stage of preparing the proposal;
- a maximum amount calculated based on the surface of sensors installed and the application envisaged.
Eligible expenses include:
- costs related to the equipment required for the integration and proper functioning of the solar equipment;
- installation costs and development depending on the equipment; and
- engineering costs.
Expenses not included are as follows:
- production loss, waste or other losses arising from activities related to installation of equipment;
- expenses incurred before the date of the agreement with the Minister of Natural Resources and Wildlife.
>For more information: Available in French only