There are a number of performance, safety and installation standards that pertain to solar energy products in Canada. These standards are listed below with additional links to provide you with further information on complimentary component standards and solar testing facilities and organizations.
CSA Standards for Solar Hot Water Heating Equipment and Installation:
- CSA F378-87 (R2004): Solar Collectors. (Listing of certified solar collectors).
- CSA F379-09: Packaged Solar Domestic Hot Water Systems (liquid-liquid heat transfer). (Listing of certified packaged systems).
- CSA F383-08: Installation Code for Solar Domestic Hot Water Systems.
For further information on certification for Solar Domestic Hot Water Systems Components and Balance of System please click here.
CSA Standard for Solar Photovoltaics:
- CAN/CSA C61215-08: Crystalline silicon terrestrial photovoltaic (PV) modules, Design qualification and type approval. (Adopted IEC 61215:2005, second edition, 2005-04)
- CAN/CSA C61646-2: Thin film terrestrial PV modules - Design qualification and type approval.
- ULc ORD C1703-1: PV Module Safety Standard.
- CAN/CSA F382-M89 (R2004): Characterization of Storage Batteries for Photovoltaic Systems
For further information on certification for Solar Photovoltaics Components and Balance of System please click here.
CSA Standards for Solar Air:
CSA Standards and CanSIA are currently working to develop a standard for Solar Air Collectors.
For further information on Underwriters Laboratories of Canada visit the Underwriters Laboratories of Canada website.
Further Information on Product Testing:
The Standards Council of Canada (SCC) accredits and recognizes the competence and reliability of laboratory facilities through its Program for the Accreditation of Laboratories/Canada (PALCAN).
Laboratory facilities that are currently accredited to test solar products to the above standards include: