Project Engineer, Generation
August 26, 2014
September 12, 2014
The Project Engineer will provide technical engineering expertise, analysis and support to the generation team with a focus optimizing production at hydroelectric, solar and bio gas facilities. Responsible for developing, evaluating and monitoring performance of current and future generating stations.
The incumbent will manage projects related to the generation operations group’s sustaining capital program as well as improving operational efficiency of its generation assets. This will include working with consultants to review and prepare engineering design packages; construction contracts; and manage the project implementation in order complete the sustaining capital program within budget and on schedule.
|Position:||Project Engineer, Generation||Reports To:||Manager, Generation Operations|
|Function:||Generation||Last Revised:||January 2014|
|Financial Responsibility:||Capital Budget:
$20K - $5 Million
|Supervisory Responsibility:||Direct Reports-
Strategic and Planning:
- Provide long-term planning and budget input related to the capital replacement and renewal programs for generation infrastructure.
- Provide input into the development of business plans including significant and ongoing operations and maintenance initiatives, changes and capital projects/programs.
- Monitor and keep appraised of regulatory changes, assess the impacts of change and communicate as required.
- Manage capital replacement and renewal programs, including project management and contract administration.
- Responsible for engineering and technical support by working closely with operations, maintenance and construction staff on projects.
- Oversee and complete engineering designs related to capital improvements for generation facilities. Manage and undertake multi-disciplinary engineering studies and designs through to project completion.
- Undertake data collection and analysis, production assessment, optimization and trending studies for existing assets and/or review designs completed by consultants.
- Identify and recommend opportunities to develop new processes and enhance existing ones to optimize production. Research, evaluate and implement innovative and industry best practices and methods in operation and maintenance efficiency.
- Lead the preparation, evaluation and management of contractor and key supplier tenders, RFP’s and contracts on behalf of Operations.
- Manage and monitor all aspects of generation operations projects including change order management, QA/QC processes, drawing reviews, plan/site approvals, coordination of contractors, regulatory compliance, scheduling and communications, reporting and construction close out.
- The key interface between Generation Development and Operations teams to ensure smooth commissioning of new facilities.
- Work closely with Generation staff to maintain and update standards, procedures, and other technical documentation necessary for ongoing maintenance and operations.
- Visit construction and job sites to observe conditions impacting design and collaborate with Project Development and Operations & Maintenance staff to identify solutions to technical issues that arise during construction and/or while in production.
- Operate and expand various computer and Engineering tools. Advanced level spreadsheet skills.
- Foster and grow relationships with consultants, contractors, stakeholders, regulatory agencies and others vital to the success of projects.
Health & Safety:
- Responsible for personal safety and the safety of others that is dependent upon their actions. Report hazards and unsafe acts or conditions encountered on the job to fellow workers and supervisors. Responsible for having a working knowledge of all applicable safety legislation pertaining to the job.
- Adhere to all PUG practices, policies and procedures (administr¬ative, operational, information systems, etc.) as outlined in the applicable Policies and Practices.
- Ensure that all required administrative support and required documentation is complete and correct with respect to the department functions.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Successful completion of an applicable engineering degree and eligible for registration with P.E.O. as a Professional Engineer.
- A minimum of three (3) years of related project engineering experience. Working knowledge of design, construction, commissioning and/or operation of hydroelectric power plants is preferred.
- Proven project management and contract administration experience.
- Computer literacy within Microsoft Office applications and hands on ability, with awareness of new technologies, coupled with advanced knowledge of spreadsheet software and engineer related systems.
- Project Management Professional (PMP), working towards the PMP designation or other similar project management training.
- Experience in managing contractors/subcontractors coupled with strong business acumen and the ability to lead a project team.
- Commitment to safety leadership.
- Excellent verbal/written communication and technical skills along with superior negotiation skills.
- Understanding of SCADA systems and PV Syst Solar Optimization Software
- Understanding of applicable industry legislation, policy, and regulations. These would include Electrical Utility Safety Rules, Electrical Safety Authority, OHSA regulations.
- Demonstrated ability to adapt to a fast paced, demanding and changing work environment, prioritizing and managing projects to ensure delivery on schedule and budget.
- Must hold a valid Class G driver's license and have an excellent driving record.
- Strong meeting facilitation and communication skills required to work effectively with all project stakeholders.
- Strong problem solving skills and a strong desire to improve operational efficiencies through process and cross-functional organization and communication.
- Ability to travel as required.
- Project Management
- Job Knowledge
- Verbal/Written Communications
- Problem Solving
- Cost Conscious
- Planning & Organizing
Interested candidates are encouraged to learn more about these opportunities and submit their cover letter and resumes online at www.peterboroughutilities.ca
Written applications, stating qualifications in an attached resume may be submitted on or before September 12, 2014